As we head into the weekend when Big Brown will try to become the first horse to win the Triple Crown since Affirmed in 1978, I thought it would be fun to see how far the CE industry has come since Affirmed was outfitted in a blanket of roses.
- The Consumer Electronic Show was held twice every year, once in the winter and again in the summer
- Atari was the ultimate gaming console, allowing players to test their stills at Pong
- Apple demonstrated its 1st working prototype of the Apple II disk drive
- Microsoft shipped the Microsoft COBOL
- Digital Equipment opened its first retail store in a mall and offered small computer systems for under $10,000
- The Starfleet Orion game for the Commodore PET was released
- RCA announced the SDT200 CED Player, which was the first of its kind to accept discs in caddies
What were some of your favorite gadgets and systems from 1978?
Posted by Lauren